February 13, 2012

Book Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath (Everneath, #1)
Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Published by Balzer & Bray -January 24th 2012
Reviewed from ARC provided by the publisher

Summary:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. 
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. 
As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's.

My Thoughts:

I love reading mythology. I find the elements of a traditional myth fascinating and I'm often drawn to books that include aspects of mythology when choosing a book to read.  I found Brodi Ashton's original take on several stories from Greek and Egyptian Mythology compelling and Everneath was an enjoyable as well as addictive read from cover to cover.

Let's talk Cole. I know that he is the "villian" in this tale. He wants to drag Nikki back with him, but I don't know if I've ever read about a "hotter" more "charismatic" villian before. I would have had an incredibly hard time refusing the attention of this guy even if it meant losing my heart.
Let's talk Jack. Sweet, sensitive, protective and completely in love with Nikki, I think I might have just found my new book "boyfriend".

The author proves herself to be a skilled storyteller as time weaves back and forth and we uncover more of Nikki's past and present. The twists and turns in the book make it unpredictable and I found the fact that I was kept guessing throughout the book, refreshing. I'm looking forward to the next book (and more Cole and Jack) :) Recommended.

3 comments:

  1. This one is definitely on my to-read pile!

    Mmmm...book boyfriends :)

    geekgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. My book club is reading this for our next meeting. I actually went to a book signing of hers and got the book. I'm a new follower. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it!! I really enjoyed this one as well. The writing was good, and I liked how it was written as well... with the way the story went back and forth. Usually that bugs me, but it was well done here, I thought.

    ReplyDelete