February 4, 2012

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Published by Feiwel and Friends January 3rd 2012
Reviewed from ARC provided by the publisher.

Summary

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 

My Thoughts

Cinder is the first book in the Lunar Chronicles Series. It's an original retelling of a traditional favourite (Cinderella) and it stands out as a fabulous read.  The buzz for Cinder is quickly gaining steam and I can see why. Meyer, creates a beloved character in Cinder- a cyborg who is ostracised from society because of her differences and seen as her stepmothers property instead of someone to be valued. 

  When I think about the "classic" Cinderella, I think of someone wistful, sweet and meek. I loved that Cinder was feisty, stood up for herself whenever she could, and fought against being bullied-even if she didn't win. 

   If I had one issue it was the books predictability. I knew in under 100 pages how the rest of the story for this book would play out. I think there might have been too much foreshadowing in the beginning. However, I don't feel like that deterred from the overall enjoyment of the book at all. I wanted more, especially after that cliffhanger ending. I can not wait for the next one!. Marissa Meyer, please write fast! Definitely recommended.


Macmillan Audio was kind enough to provide the clip below of Cinder on Audio...click to listen to an excerpt. 

7 comments:

  1. For some reason I really loved the predictability of it.. or at least I found it easy to ignore with such fabulous characters and the smaller plotlines that were harder to figure out. Anyway, I really loved it, and I can see myself re-reading it soon! Glad you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how Marissa Meyer puts such an awesome science fiction spin on Cinderella! Cinder was a great protagonist with cool street smarts but she also had her vulnerable moments too. I'm so excited for book two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I thought the ways she wove the original tale into this futuristic one was brilliant.

      Delete
  3. I loved Cinder!! :)

    Honestly, when I read a fairy tale retelling, I am INCREDIBLY forgiving of predictability. Even when (like with Cinder) I know all the plot twists, even those not coming from the original tale, it still makes me happy. :) I will forgive a fairy tale retelling almost anything if it makes me FEEL like I'm reading a fairy tale :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinder made me happy too. There were times I wished I could have hopped in the book and fought for her.

      Delete
  4. Great review! You basically took the words out of my mind. ;) I agree with what you say, but I still absolutely loved it, even though it was predictable!

    ReplyDelete