February 1, 2012

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Published by Dutton Janaury 12 2012
Reviewed from library copy (though I've bought 2 copies since)

Summary

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
 
This is not a review. I can't review it. This was my first journey into the genius of John Green and I don't ever want to come back. Perhaps I found this book so meaningful because of my mom's journey with cancer last year. Perhaps, it's the way he turns a phrase, or can make the saddest moments seem lighter with witty insight. What ever the reason, I clutched this book to my chest after reading it...heaved a great big sigh, cried, and then went back to the beginning and read it again. It was just that good.

3 comments:

  1. Really? Wow. I have yet to pick up a John Green book but I hear he is pure awesome. Thanks for sharing this, even if it's not a review. I know now I must definitely read one of his books...very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first John Green book as well and like you I just couldn't review it. It was just too..beautiful? perfect? Amazing? I'm still not sure. Definitely an incredible book and I will be reading the rest of his work ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished it this morning and I'm tearing up again reading your review. I actually whimpered while sobbing at parts. Now my head hurts and my eyes are burning. But it was SO WORTH IT!

    ReplyDelete