July 23, 2012

Book Review: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer

12283261
Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer
Published by Simon Pulse June 2012
Reviewed from ARC provided by the publisher

Summary:
    Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.
And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.
   Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.
My Thoughts:
    I am a fan of Jodi Picoult. I love her writing style, I love the characters she creates and her books have always given me something to think about; a new perspective and way of looking at the world.  I liked Between the Lines in the beginning. I thought the premise was interesting. Imagine if our dreamy book boyfriends could talk to us, or might even be able to leave the pages of their book behind. I know of many avid readers who would love that!!
   I thought Delilah was a believable and likeable character, and I saw a lot of myself in her. I just didn’t feel/believe the chemistry between her and Oliver. Oliver seemed spoiled, insincere and immature and there were a few moments where I felt Delilah should have just closed the book and left him in it.  The book has had mixed reviews..but debuted on the Best Seller list. It just didn’t work for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment