July 17, 2010

Family Storytime- In the Jungle










This past week we had 62 in attendance at our In the Jungle Family Story Time! This years Summer Reading Club theme is Destination Jungle and I'm having a wonderful (wild) time with programs. Our family story times are intended for all ages.

Books Read:
Hilda Must Be Dancing by Karma Wilson
17 Kings and 42 Elephants by Margaret Mahy (fantastic rhythm)
I Am Going by Mo Willems (lol)
The Mightiest by Keiko Kasza

We played freeze dance after reading Hilda must be dancing, and I modified a rhyme, so that we could go on a mini safari in the children's section.
I hung pictures of jungle animals all around the story area.
We tapped our knees and said:
"Walking through the Jungle, and what did I see? A great big crocodile smiling at me"

The children would then search the area (with their eyes) for the crocodile and point to it- we then acted like crocodiles. This game continued until we found all of the animals.
It went really well and I think we could have even played that game for the full 30 minutes and the kids would have loved it.

A complete story time plan including the songs we sung will be posted on my website shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment