August 31, 2011

The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Published by Double Day September 13th 2011
387 pages
Reviewed from ARC-borrowed from friend

Summary:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.

How do I even begin sharing my thoughts on this book? This intricately woven story has completely swept me away. The story moves back and forth through time, with many people & pieces and yet they all fit together perfectly. At the heart of it, is the story of love and sacrifice, believing in the unimaginable possibilities the world has to offer. The author's writing has a depth that encaptured all my senses- I was truly transported into The Night Circus and when I had to stop reading because my "real" life interrupted, like the patrons in the book, I rushed to go back as soon as possible. I long for sweet carmel apples, and chocolate mice, a red scarf and a silver card that gives me unlimited admission. I wish this Circus was real. This is not a book I will soon forget, and I hope the feeling that came over me as I finished the final line of the story, will stay with me, I'll hold on to it as long as I can. Highly Recommended -One of my favourites....ever.


15 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, and yes! This is without a doubt my favorite book that I read this year, and I, too, had trouble putting words to my review. All I wanted to do was heap superlatives on it. Were you by any chance at the Night Circus party last week in Concord, MA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to read such wonderful reviews of a book you have, and intend to read soon! Thanks! You made my mouth water....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds amazing. It's the first time I hear of this book and now I can't wait to read it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm craving a caramel apple...

    You have me wanting to read this even MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that you really enjoyed The Night Circus! All of the early praise has me rally wanting to read the novel. And it must be very good if it's one of your new favourites already! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it as well! I'll send you my button if you'd like to affiliate. http://thenightcircus.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mirrored my thoughts on this book so beautifully! It has become one of my all-time favorite reads also! LOVE this book! I'm suggesting it to everyone I know and am buying a copy of it for my library to donate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really can't wait to read this one! I've read so many great reviews of it and the plot seems really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. EVERYONE keeps talking about this one! Now I'm curious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Release date for The Night Circus is September 13th- you can bet I'll be at the bookstore buying it!!! Thanks everyone for commenting!

    Julie- I'd love to connect...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is actually the second time I've heard about this book and now I'm even more excited to get my hands on a copy when it's released!

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have I told you how much I want this book??? I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, sounds awesome! I seriously have yet to see a negative review for this one, and I really am starting to want to read it! I need to find me a copy and soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I finished reading and closed The Night Circus, I just had to sit for a few minutes and absorb what I'd just read. Everything about it was truly incredible, from the enchanting love story, the captivating magic, and the spellbinding plot. This is a story that weaves its way into your heart and leaves you mesmerized. One word of caution: make sure you pay close attention to the dates at the beginning of the chapters - they don't always flow chronologically. This has got to be one of the best books I have read all year, and know I will read this story over and over. It's found a permanent home on my bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete