January 1, 2011

Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Choker by Elizabeth Woods
Published by Simon and Schuster Childrens Publishing
January 4th 2011
240 pages
Reviewed from finished copy provided by the publisher

Summary from Goodreads:
What if the only friend you could trust turned out to be dangerous? A new thriller from debut author Elizabeth Woods.

This one was a little disturbing as there is such a completely twisted ending. I won't include any spoilers in this review. (so keep reading :))

Cara doesn’t fit in. She’s alone. She’s tormented everyday by the girls at her high school, who take pleasure causing humiliation. It wasn’t always like this, before she moved, Cara had a best friend (Zoe) who stood by her and cared about her. Cara misses her terribly until Zoe shows up at her house one night, saying she's run away. Cara promises to keep Zoe hidden and Zoe promises to help Cara fit in. As the days go by Zoe’s behaviour becomes stranger and little scary and people around Cara are mysteriously getting hurt.
This one grabbed me right away. I felt so badly for Cara and how alone she felt and was thrilled when Zoe seemed to come to her rescue. I felt like a such a bystander reading this, helpless to do anything as I watched the situation deteriorate. Shocked by the last few chapters, I found it a little disturbing and was shaken for a while (I'm a wimp though) Overall it was a good suspense filled read.

3.5/5

Elizabeth Woods is a Debut YA Author.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book, I may have to add it to my TBR pile. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds intriguing.... I'm looking forward to reading it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so darn intrigued by this book! There isn't much of a synopsis on Goodreads, and based on your review, it sounds really interesting. I can't wait to pick up a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm maybe I will skip this one. I am not in the mood for anything disturbing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaken, yes! I just sat there blinking for a while when I finished the book and could only say, "Huh." ;) It was a great read!

    ReplyDelete