January 10, 2011

You by Charles Benoit

You by Charles Benoit
Published by Harperteen August 2010
223 pages
Reviewed from ARC

Summary from GoodReads
This wasn't the way it was supposed to go.
You're just a typical fifteen-year-old sophomore, an average guy named Kyle Chase. This can't be happening to you. But then, how do you explain all the blood? How do you explain how you got here in the first place?
There had to have been signs, had to have been some clues it was coming. Did you miss them, or ignore them? Maybe if you can figure out where it all went wrong, you can still make it right. Or is it already too late? Think fast, Kyle. Time's running out. How did this happen? You is the riveting story of fifteen-year-old Kyle and the small choices he does and doesn't make that lead to his own destruction. In his stunning young-adult debut, Charles Benoit mixes riveting tension with an insightful—and unsettling—portrait of an ordinary teen in a tale that is taut, powerful, and shattering.

  As the book opens we meet Kyle, the typical teen age boy who has made some poor choices and has had to live with the consequences of his actions or inaction. He feels misunderstood, unheard and carries so much anger that it's always boiling just under the surface. Nothing seems to go right for him and after meeting the "new" kid in school his life spirals out of control.
I wasn't sure about it at first. The story felt slow in the beginning, and the second-person point of view added an unusual feel to the book- I was reminded of The Choose Your Own Adventure books I read when was I younger. But I'm so glad that I kept reading.
 I was left stunned by the end. I couldn't have predicted it, it caught me off guard. Great for reluctant readers and would be good for group discussions.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this book was great. I could totally relate to Kyle on a number of levels. And it truly shows us that even the tiniest of our decisions can always shift the result of the future. The second-person POV was weird, but I was able to get used to it over time. All in all, a great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think the author did an amazing job of showing us the effect our decisions have.

    ReplyDelete