August 25, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Published by Simon & Schuster Sept 27 2011
464 Pages
Reviewed from ARC

Summary
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory
of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked this one up. I love how vague the summary was- I usually avoid reading entire summaries especially with debut authors as I find too much is given away...not in this case.
  Suspenseful, dark and sometimes creepy I was completely hooked. It was unpredictable and though I had glimmers of where I thought the story was headed, I'd turn the page and something completely unexpected would happen. I love when that happens I want to be surprised when I read and there were a few times where I know my jaw actually dropped open.
I desperately wanted to know what happened to Mara, and her friends. I needed answers and so I found myself racing through the book (which means I'll have to read it again as I probably missed a few details). Noah Shaw was a great *love interest* for Mara, and though there were times that I had intense anger towards him I mostly sighed out loud when I read I about him.  I do have to say . .. holy cliff hanger ending. I can't wait for the next one- Michelle write fast please.
 

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, can't wait to read this one! So glad you enjoyed it - I love that the plot is unexpected! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't WAIT to read this one!! Awesome review chick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on page 162 right now! I just read 100 pages on my break, so I totally know what you mean about the racing through! I've heard I'm not going to like the ending, so I'm trying not to judge on that (I HATE cliffhangers).

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY I'm so looking forward to this one! I love it when there are twists that keep you flipping the pages, eager for more :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so torn about this one. I have heard such mixed reviews that I'm kind of worried.

    ReplyDelete