August 9, 2011

Withering Tights

Withering Tights (Misadventures of Tallulah Casey, #1)

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison
Published by HarperCollins July 2011
Hardcover 351 pages
Reviewed from Library Copy

Summary
Hilarious new series from Queen of Teen – laugh your tights off at the (VERY) amateur dramatic antics of Talullah and her bonkers mates. Boys, snogging and bad acting guaranteed!

Picture the scene: Dother Hall performing arts college somewhere Up North, surrounded by rolling dales, bearded cheesemaking villagers (male and female) and wildlife of the squirrely-type. On the whole, it’s not quite the showbiz experience Tallulah was expecting… but once her mates turn up and they start their ‘FAME! I’m gonna liiiiive foreeeeeever, I’m gonna fill my tiiiiights’ summer course things are bound to perk up. Especially when the boys arrive. (When DO the boys arrive?) Six weeks of parent-free freedom. BOY freedom. Freedom of expression... cos it’s
the THEATRE dahling, theatre!!

I was so thrilled when I first heard about this book. Louise Rennison's Georgia Nicholson series had me laughing out loud, and this one did the same. This author knows how to write humour and thank god she puts a glossary in the back for all of us non-brit readers.

  Fun, light and thoroughly enjoyable, exactly what I needed after all the heavy dystopians I've been reading. That's not to say that Withering Tights didn't have substance, Talluah was an over the top lovable character but she had to deal with all the insecurities and self doubts teen-age girls (and adult women for that matter) contend with on a daily basis. I wish there had been a Summer Performing Arts School when I was teen. Especially with a boys school next door! :) I can't wait for more Tallulah adventures. Recommended.

You can find out more about Louise Rennison here: http://witheringtights.com/
And if you haven't read "Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging" go now and get it.......

1 comment: