December 22, 2010

Impact

Books have always had tremendous impact on me, (obviously I love them and love to read or I wouldn't be blogging or working in a library) but it's much more than that.

    Some people are auditory learners, or they learn by "doing". I'm definitely a visual learner. If I read it/see it, I'm more likely to remember it.  I'm easily moved by a book, reading is more likely to trigger memories for me as well. I have this weird belief that a book will somehow find it's way into my hands because it's what I need to read in that moment at that time in my life. There is a life lesson inside, hidden in the pages of text, or a piece of wisdom I need to be reminded of. It doesn't happen in every book. However, there are a few every year that stand out as my "life lesson" books. I even have a special shelf for them.

One from a few years ago was by the author Kate Di Camillo. It was called The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. It reminded me during a very difficult time not to give up on love and though love may be a sacrifice in the end it's always worth it.
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane


This year, the stand out was If I Stay by Gayle Forman.
My review is here.
If I Stay reminded me that life is always a choice even if it doesn't always feel like it. We need to hold on to the ones we love and treasure the moments we might usually miss because we never know what might happen. It also taught me that sometimes the very best thing we can do to show our love for someone is to let them go.

What I'd love to know, if you're willing to share :

Do books have the same type of impact on you? If so, What was the book that impacted you the most this year?





1 comment:

  1. YAY, Edward Tulane. How I love the story. That's one of book that I never get bored to re-read over and over again. I learn a lot from it
    Heart breaks and breaks and lives by breaking

    I choose The Little Prince, and To Kill Mocking Bird. But for this year, it would be The Help by Kathryn Stockett

    ReplyDelete