November 18, 2010

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Published by Dutton (Penguin) April 2009
199 Pages
Young Adult
Reviewed from copy borrowed from the library.

Summary from GoodReads
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.


When it comes to books I know that I will be reading I'm careful with reviews. I look to see if they are positive or negative and then tend to move on. I don't want to know too much, I don't want to know whats going to happen ahead of time.
This was very much the case with If I Stay. An award winning novel I knew was highly recommended, and wanted to read.
To tell the truth I didn't even fully know what it was about.

I connected with Mia right from the beginning. Perhaps it was our shared love of music, but her character was endearing and very real. Gayle Forman did a wonderful job of intertwining the past and present so that it flowed and made sense. I loved Mia's innocence and her view of the world, but the choice in front of her was just heartbreaking and at a couple of points I was sobbing. Not, just tears but those big type of belly sobs.
The story has caused me to pause and think about things in my own life. How they can change in a millisecond. I'm still thinking about Mia and her family days after reading it.
The story is also about love and hope and courage...
I borrowed it from the library but I've ordered it. It's a book I need to read over. It's a book that I want to have on my shelf.

I  loved it.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved it. Like you, I also felt a connection with Mia and it's definitely one to buy! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I read this from the library and then bought it for my mother for her birthday with the reservation of "I want this back when you've finished it." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous review! I completely agree with the full on sobs. Although the book is very slim, its packed with a wide range of emotions. I've also ordered a personal copy after reading it from the library. I can't wait for the sequel. A must read for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. Stopped on the hop and had wondered about this book. Big sobs, hm. Probably not for me then.
    Newly following.
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    Twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this a few weeks ago, and I loved it. Like you said it makes you stop and wonder and makes you appreciate the things you have in life.

    Also from the FF. I had to see what you thought of the book. I have a reveiw of it up too

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite books ever! It's so incredibly intense and powerful! I cried the entire time, just a steady stream of tears the whole time. Sigh. Very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, so this is the belly sobs book you mentioned today. ;)

    I have this one and can't bring myself to read it. Sad books stay with me for days....

    Jen

    ReplyDelete