November 2, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a fabulous weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's list:

"Top ten books that made you cry"

**Post may contain spoilers for the following books: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows.***


  1. The Boy in Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. I really don't want to give anything away on this one...it's a book that I truly feel everyone should read. The ending was so powerful that it took me a couple of weeks to accept and process. A really brilliant book.
  2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by Jk Rowling....Sirius Black. Harry had finally found family -only to have it taken away.
  3. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Jk Rowling....*highlight to view-dumbledore* a father figure and friend-big sobs with this one.
  4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling...*Highlight to view- Dobby! I loved Dobby and George.....
  5. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Many-many Happy tears were shed when at long last Elinor and Edward were united.
  6. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I'll just say a scene close to the end had me balling. I'll be careful not to say anymore than that.
  7. Goodbye Pink Pig by CS Adler. I read this when I was 11 or so. Saying good bye to a beloved friend is never easy-look for this one to be featured on the worthwhile reads meme on my blog in the future.
  8. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. An adult book but the story was incredible. I read this for my "adult" book club. Dina has found escape from her family and absolute true love. Her families betrayal and punishment for her abandonment was utterly devastating.
I only had eight books to list  but as I visit other blogs, I'm sure I'll remember crying to many of the books listed. I'm a big cryer...happy or sad.

6 comments:

  1. I forgot about D&G in Deathly Hallows!

    I've seen "The Boy in Striped Pajamas" on a few lists today. Its author was apparently good at touching people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mockingjay was an emotional roller coaster for me. There were quite a few times when I had to reach for some tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really surprised that I didn't cry at all in "Mockingjay". Maybe it's because I was waiting for it to happen and was prepared for it. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need to put Striped Pyjamas at the top of my TBR!

    Here's my list:
    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/11/top-ten-books-that-made-you-cry.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't actually cry over Mockingjay or HP, but I think it's partly because I was so intently reading on an adrenaline rush that I wasn't allowing emotions to catch up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows made my list, too, but I can't believe I forgot Hunger Games! I haven't read Mockingjay yet, but I got a little misty-eyed in Catching Fire, reading about the Prep team crying as they prepared Katniss for the Quarter Games. Sad on the level of seeing a pet mourn for its owner, I guess...

    ReplyDelete