November 10, 2010

Remember

Thursday November 11th 2010 is Remembrance Day in Canada

It's a day where we reflect, remember and honour those who have lost their lives fighting for our country and for those still fighting for us.





Last year I found a book on our shelves about peace:

"In this moving picture book, award-winning collaborators Davide Cali and Serge Bloch present a fable for our time about two lonely soldiers facing each other across a barren battlefield. What each discovers, as the story unfolds, is that the enemy is not a faceless beast, but rather a real person with family, friends, and dreams"


I really loved this book, I brought it home for my 8 year old and we had quite an involved discussion about the book and what it means....I highly recommend this, -a great place to start a conversation about the topic.

We need to strive to keep the conversation going, the memories alive.

3 comments:

  1. In Canada, is Remembrance Day more about the Great War, or about wars and veterans in general? I live in the US, which observes Veterans Day, but I think of it as Armistice Day, myself. The Great War is to me war at its most basest: the destruction of lives and homes and the sheer stupidity of it all or is not not hidden by ideals and patriotism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it means different things to different people. For me, I reflect on lives lost in any war. I also think a lot about the sacrfices my grandfather and grandmother made during world war two. He was a hero and saved many many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check on that book- I love to read those types of books to my daughter and discuss them (she's only 5 so we keep it basic). Looks like it might be a tear-jerker though (me, not her ;p)

    ReplyDelete