December 19, 2010

Morganville Vampires Series-totally hooked

 Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Morganville Vampires #1)
 246 Pages
 Published 2006 by NAL Jam

 Read from Library Copy

Summary from Goodreads
College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. 

The Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine (Morganville Vampires #2)
238 Pages
Published 2007 by NAL Jam
Read from Library Copy

Summary: Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.


  I'm going to share my thoughts on these together as I read them both last week. I had read on a blog a brief recommendation for the Morganville Vampires Series. For some reason, even though my existing to-read pile seems as though as its a mile high, I picked them up at the library.

Glass Houses follows Clare as she attends University in Morganville, which unbeknown to her is vampire central. Not sparkly vampires either.

    I began Glass Houses and though I didn't have that "over the moon" feeling about it, I did end up liking it.
I didn't find it easy to connect with Clare. I guess because I had a hard time buying  that a 16 year old would be attending University away from home no matter how smart she seemed.
   I eventually got over it as the story progressed and I began to care more about Clare and the other people in her life. I felt that Michael, who is the owner of the Glass House was two dimensional as a character but I did enjoy Shane (very much :)) Monica is a character that you love to hate. She tortures poor Clare and just when you think she might show a glimmer of a redeeming quality she does something awful. Clare finds herself entangled with the Vampires and decides the only way to get out is to find something that they want. Both books follow this storyline and the consequences of her actions.

They aren't books were I can say that the storyline or the writing is exceptional. But somehow I'm completely hooked and have to find out what happens next.....

3.5/5  good but not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment