February 25, 2011

A Moment for My Mom

For the past several months my mom has been dealing with cancer. It's around us everywhere isn't it? I think we all know someone whose life has been changed in some way by cancer. I never thought it would be my mom.
   We are so lucky that her prognosis is a good one. I don't know what I would do without her. She was a single mom and I'm an only child and when I was growing up we just had each other. I talk to her almost everyday, she lives ten minutes from my house and she's one of my closest friends.
Her treatment experience has been challenging. Chemo was awful for her and terrible to watch-I had no way to comfort her or make her feel better. She was deeply depressed and sometimes looking back over the last few months I wonder if I did everything for her that I should have/could have. I just hope that I didn't let her down.
But today is for gratitude, as she has had her last cancer treatment. No more chemo, no more radiation. Just recovery and an opportunity to make many more memories with us. We're very very lucky. Thank you to all of you who have given words of support, prayed for my mom and been there for us. With a grateful heart.

7 comments:

  1. oh Jen.. HUGE hugs to you & your mom!! That is such wonderful news to hear. I know how hard it is to watch someone go through something like that. You feel so, so helpless. I lost my aunt to cancer when I was younger & just a few short 7 years ago, I lost my mom to cancer as well. You always stop & ask the questions - WHY??!! why her? why this? But unfortunately, we will never know those answers. We just have to take what we're given & move on with it.. as a better person. I'm still telling myself that every day. Celebrate your mom today & every day forward. Don't burden yourself with the troubles of if you did every thing you could. I am sure you did though, & went above & beyond it too.

    Thank you for sharing your mom's journey with us <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ginger for your encouragement and support. It means so much. J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear your mum is doing well, Jen. Cancer takes its toll on everyone...not just the one with the disease. I will be sure to keep you and your mum in my prayers <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that the treatments are over... I hope/pray that everything will be good for you guys. I'm also an only child who was raised by a single Mom, so I can totally relate to the closeness you guys seem to share. And I'm sure that you did everything you could for her over the past few months. Sometimes it doesn't seem like enough, but I'm sure just knowing that you love her and were/are there for her is deeply appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa and Ashley, thank you so much for your support. I feel so lucky to have stumbled into this fantastic blogger community

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope she is still feeling better! My husband sells chemotherapy so the word cancer is like the word bread in this house. Pray she has many many years with you.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jen, she's had a bit of a set back....but we're praying that things get better again soon <3

    ReplyDelete