February 14, 2011

A Valentine Q & A with Anna Humphrey

Rhymes with Cupid by Anna Humphrey
Published by Harperteen
December 2010

Summary from Goodreads:
Goodman's Gifts & Stationery Store

February 14

Cashier: Elyse

3 boxes of heart-shaped chocolate . . . $12.00

Chocolate is the only good thing about this nauseating holiday.

4 containers of candy hearts . . . $5.00


Ever since my ex cheated on me, I've sworn off love.
Too bad my new neighbor Patrick didn't get the memo.


1 Valentine's Day card . . . $4.50

 

I'm not interested. Although, he is pretty cute. And sweet. And funny.

1 singing Cupid doll (promotional item) . . . $0.00
Stupid Cupid! Point your arrows at someone else. . . .

Subtotal . . . $21.50

It's going to be a complicated Valentine's Day.

Just in time for Valentines Day I was fortunate to do a Q & A with author Anna Humphrey

What inspired you to write for young adults?


I think I wanted to write about young adults (and for young adults) because the teenage years are so filled with big moments... things like first summer job, first real taste of independence, first kiss, first love, first major heartbreak. There’s just a lot of potential there storywise, not only for drama but also for self-discovery.

What is one thing that you learned about yourself while writing?

I’ve learned that, even though it can be hard some days to force myself to sit down and get started, I’m SO much happier when I’m writing than when I’m not. It balances and calms me and just generally makes me feel purposeful in a way that nothing else does.


What book are you reading now?

Jandy Nelson’s THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. The writing is beautiful and the story is heartbreaking, but funny, too.

Do you have a favourite love story?

Nothing specific comes to mind, but I know I’m a sucker for a plot where the girl realizes the right guy has been standing in front of her all along (usually in disguise as her best friend). I just finished reading ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, which I loved... and I think I’ve rented the movie “13 Going on 30” about ten times. “The Wedding Singer” is another movie I adore, which has that same basic plot.

What is your ideal way to spend Valentine's Day?

I’m not a big fan of fighting the crowds at restaurants (and it’s usually so cold out in February!) Honestly, as boring as this sounds, get me some good takeout food, a rented movie and my husband and I’m happy.
(Thats my idea of a perfect Valentine's day too)

Thanks Anna!!!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment