February 18, 2011

Follow Friday

Time for the Friday Follow! Hosted by Parajunkees View.
This week's question is a focus on the SCI-FI genre.
If you are a fan of Science Fiction what is your favorite book? If you haven't read Science Fiction before...any inkling to? Anything catch your eye?



 I had to look up genre defintions on the internet as the lines between fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian seem a but fuzzy to me. When I think of Sci-fi, I think of Sir Arthur Clarke, or Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451...though perhaps now, Fahrenheit 451 might be closer to dystopian? I found this great post "The Fine Points Between YA Dystopia and Sci-fi "


 A few sci-fi books I've enjoyed:
  1. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson
  2. The Uglies/Pretties/Specials/Extras by Scott Westerfeld
  3. Matched by Ally Condie
  4. Unwind by Neal Shusterman
  5. Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
Do you find defining genres a bit of a challenge sometimes? Is there one genre that you tend to read more?

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I'm really into Star Trek and Star Wars fiction, but even though they have a future-y setting, I only count a few books among them as science fiction. Most of the time they're just adventure in a high-tech setting. A few authors make actual science part of their novels, but not many.

    As far as "real" science fiction goes, I like many of the classics, particularly H.G. Wells and Jules Verne. Isaac Asimov's Foundation series rocked my world a couple of years back. I've never gotten into Clarke, Heinlein, or any of the others, though.

    If you are new to science fiction, I can reccommend Asimov in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old follower just hopping by! Happy Friday!

    Aimee
    http://gettingyourreadonaimeebrown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I haven't read the Uglies/Pretties series yet, but I'm thinking about it. Thanks for following me. I'm your newest follower. =]

    That's What Liz Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...we must be in sync. I've read all of those! Well, I am reading Ender's Game now..that counts.

    ReplyDelete