March 3, 2011

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Cryer's Cross

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann
Published by Simon Pulse  February 2011
223 Pages
Reviewed from ARC provided by publisher

Summary from Goodreads
The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend  also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.

   I read Cryer's Cross in one sitting. It took a few pages before I settled in but then it had a hold of me and just didn't let go. Lisa McMann is a talented story teller and I could not have predicted the ending.
One of my favourite aspects of the book was watching Kendall manage her day to day life with OCD in the midst of the chaos in her community. I enjoyed watching her friendship with Jacien change and develop and feel that their developing friendship really anchored the storyline. If I had known how scared I would be after reading though, I definitely would not have read it so close to bedtime. Creepy and a little disturbing, I thought about it for days after.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this one, let me get back to it.
    :-) If you haven't read the Wake Trilogy I highly recommend it, I agree LisaM has a way with words.

    ReplyDelete