January 16, 2011

2011 Non-Fiction Challenge


The Broke & The Bookish is hosting a wonderful challenge to read non-fiction in 2011.
I thought it would be a great motivator to mix a little non-fiction in with my fiction obession.
Here are the rules:
The challenge runs from January 17th to December 31st 2011.


  • Anyone who links a review up is eligible to be entered to win a book of their choice (under $15). How many reviews you link up determines how many entries you get. Additional prizes may be added once I organize this more and depending on how many people sign up. (International readers welcome if Book Depository ships to you).
  •  Anyone can join. If you don't have a blog, you can link reviews on Goodreads or Amazon or wherever you have your reviews. 
  • You can join the challenge at any point throughout the year.
Here's the challenge:

Culture: Non-fiction books about different cultures, religions and foreign lands; memoirs & biographies count.

Art: Non-fiction books about anything art related (painters, music, architecture, photography, dance, literature, film, etc.). Memoirs/biographies of any people related to the arts count.

Food: Food memoirs, anything related to food industry, food lifestyles

Medical: anything related to the medical field--industry memoirs, memoirs about illnesses (mental included) /diseases, etc.

Travel: travelogues, industry memoirs, travel guides, etc.

Memoir/Biography: Self explanatory

Money: Anything related to finances, economics, history of money, financial improvement etc.

Science/Nature: Anything related to any scientific field, memoirs count.

History: Anything history related-- events, biographies of historic figures, etc
My Reading List (so far)

Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life by Karen Armstrong
I Remeber Nothing and Other Reflections by Nora Ephron
After the Falls by Catherine Gildiner
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Real Food has Curves by Bruce Weinstein

4 comments:

  1. So happy you are joining! I've been debating adding Three Cups of Tea for the challenge! You'll have to let me know how it is if you read it before me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I need to brush up on my non-fiction. I'll have to think about this one!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you're hosting it! We'll have to chat about Three Cups of Tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try Spies of Mississippi. I am by no means a regular non-fiction reader, but have been trying to add more of them into my reading. This book was such a quick, interesting read and I literally couldn't put it down until I finished it.

    ReplyDelete