January 7, 2011

Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Everlost by Neal Shusterman #1 in the Skinjacker Trilogy
Published by Simon & Schuster 2006
313 pages
Reviewed from Library Copy

Summary from Goodreads
Nick and Allie don't survive the car accident...but their souls don't exactly get where they're supposed to get either. Instead, they're caught halfway between life and death, in a sort of limbo known as Everlost: a shadow of the living world, filled with all the things and places that no longer exist. It's a magical yet dangerous place where bands of lost children run wild and anyone who stands in the same place too long sinks to the center of the Earth. When they find Mary, the self-proclaimed queen of lost kids, Nick feels like he's found a home. But Allie isn't satisfied spending eternity between worlds. Against all warnings, Allie begins learning the "Criminal Art" of haunting and ventures into dangerous territory, where a monster called the McGill threatens all the souls of Everlost. In this imaginative novel, Neal Shusterman explores questions of life, death, and what just might lie in between.

  This book has everything going for it. A unique captivating story and great writing. The characters are all well developed ( especially Ally & Nick) and while it had paranormal elements to it, it didn't feel like a "typical" paranormal book. The in-between world where lost souls exist is so sad, and as Ally & Nick navigate through it, we realize that its also very dangerous. I loved the twists and turns of the story and it kept me wanting more. I've just brought home Everwild (#2) and I can not wait to crack it open. Highly recommended.

4/5 Stars.

2 comments:

  1. I read this when it first came out and I really liked it. I have recommended it a lot over the years. I can't believe are three now! I need to catch up with them. I think this is a great story for girls and boys. Those are hard to come by sometimes...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering when this book was published, I've never come across it before ... until yesterday when I saw it reviewed on a blog and now yours too. It sounds really good and I enjoyed reading your review. I'm going to hop over to Goodreads now and make sure it's on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete