January 23, 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White-Review


Published by HarperTeen August 2010
Hardcover 335 pages
Reviewed from purchased copy.

Summary from GoodReads
Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal.

OK-brace yourself. I'm about to gush.
I really, really enjoyed this book. Kiersten White has created a strong debut that offers a refreshing twist on the paranormal story line. I was hooked from page one; every time I put it down, I couldn't wait to get back to it.
 Evie is a quirky and entertaining main character and I can understand why so many reviewers have said that she is someone they could see themselves being friends with. She had a difficult childhood and had to grow up quickly as a result, but there are still so many parts of her that are idealistic and childlike -(especially her fondness of lockers, and whatever she deemed to be "normal" teenage/high school stuff.)
  She has a beautiful heart and her compassion for others is evident throughout. She has the ability to see what others don't, on the outside and I think on the inside as well. She recognizes the good in Lend right away. Though Reth proves a bit more complicated to figure out. I waivered between loving him and hating him. This was the first of a trilogy and I'm looking forward to the next. Bleeping Fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book too! Evie was really fun, Reth bugged me but I'm still eager to read the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete