January 18, 2011

Top Ten Inspirational Characters



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke & the Bookish.

This week's list- Our Top Ten Inspirational Characters.





My List in no particular order: *maybe spoilers for those who have not read HP

  1. Katniss from the Hunger Games trilogy. Talk about perseverance in tough times, bravery, loyalty, and a beautiful (if not slightly broken) heart.
  2. Severus Snape. This character caused so many emotions in me- from general suspicion, to dislike, to hatred to adore. He sacrificed so much. He's a true hero.
  3. Anubus from Jackal in the Garden. Rejected by her parents because of her deformity she's left to die. She's a fighter/survivor and a master at forgiving. Wish I was better at that.
  4.  Samantha from Before I Fall. Not completely likable in the beginning, Samantha shows how we can be transformed by the choices we make.
  5. Keladry from the Protector of the Small Series.Tamora Pierce (the author of this series) writes amazing "girl power" fiction. Keladry is forbidden from fulfilling her dream of becoming a Knight simply because she's a girl. I love her determination.-side note-if you haven't read anything by Tamora Pierce stop what your doing now and go to the library or bookstore-you won't be disappointed -she's one of my fav's.
  6. The little boy from the picture book My Great Big Mamma. In a book about acceptance and unconditional love, the little boy sees his mother very differently than she sees herself. She learns a wonderful lesson from him.
  7. Mia from If I Stay. If you're a follower of this blog, you know my feelings about her and this book.
  8. Mia's Grandfather. While everyone is telling Mia to fight, to stay, her grandfather is the only one who is able to give her "permission" to let go, He wants her to stay "but would understand if she didn't" I was sobbing at this part of the book. Sometimes loving someone is letting them go. sigh, beautiful.
  9. Lena from Delirium. Lena makes some very hard choices. It's a challenge to go against what you've been raised to believe.
It was really interesting to create this list. Looking at it has really defined for me what I find inspiring: overcoming obstacles, sacrifice and unconditional love.

What's inspiration to you?

8 comments:

  1. Nice list and nice choice with Katniss. I’m through the first book and really like her as a character. Also, I do like the character of Snape, but I had a hard time reconciling how terrible he treated people like Neville. I chose Neville for my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read Delirium and really loved it - and agree that Lena makes some really hard choices! I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with 1, 2, 4, 7 and 8. For me one the most inspiration characters is Taylor from the novel Jellicoe Road. I can't even use words to describe her or the book it means that much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snape was the most interesting character in Rowling's universe to me -- so emotionally nuanced! I despised him throughout the series, but kept clinging on to the idea that Dumbledore trusted him even late in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh that scene between Mia and her Grandfather was amazing. I bawled my eyes out reading that bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list. I agree with every single choice. Nicely done!

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know that Anne Shirley really counts as inspirational, but she has always been my favorite, and the best moment of my week was when I had a student ask for the second book in the series because she thought Anne was so fun. Doesn't happen often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great list! I haven't read all the books on your list, but I've read quite a few of them, and I think you picked some great characters! What great insights!

    ReplyDelete